Subject: Re: Missing ppi(4) docs?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/22/2005 22:58:11
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 05:21 pm, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Feb 20,  6:07pm, wulf@ping.net.au (Berndt Josef Wulf) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: Missing ppi(4) docs?
>
> | > Someone needs to import ppi.c and ppi.h too. It looks straight forward,
> | > but I don't have hardware to test this.
> |
> | thanks Christos. Please ignore my previous email since your reply
> | supplied the answer.
> |
> | BTW: I noted a major device number appears to be reserved for the ppi
> | device:
> |
> | majors.i386:device-major        ppi             char 104
> | ppi
> |
> | So, there may already be someone working on this.
>
> I don't think so. Jaromir would be the one to working on this, but I think
> that the best thing would be for you to give it a shot. It does not look
> too bad.

The ppbus is documented by there was no entry in the GENERIC configuration
file. This is the result after enable all currently supported devices:

atppc0 at acpi0 (PNP0401): AT Parallel Port
atppc0: io 0x378-0x37f,0x778-0x77b irq 7 drq 1
atppc0: FIFO <depth,wthr,rthr>=<16,8,8>
atppc0: capabilities=3f<INTR,DMA,FIFO,PS2,ECP,EPP>
ppbus0 at atppc0
ppbus0: No IEEE1284 device found.
lpt0 at ppbus0: port mode = 1<COMPATIBLE>
plip0 at ppbus0
pps0 at ppbus0

I'm trying myself in writing the missing ppi(4) driver. There is already a ppi
device as part of the GPIB interface (/sys/dev/gpib). Any objections to call
the new device ppio? Is there a specification for the ppi(o) device?

cheerio Berndt
--
Every man who says frankly and fully what he thinks is doing a public service.
[Leslie Stephen]