Subject: Re: m_defrag() addition
To: Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2005 21:48:30
On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:30:34AM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Note that the code in FreeBSD has several issues that required me to
> bypass it in favor of private code.  For example it optimally compacts
> the mbufs instead of doing a "good enough job" to satisfy the
> fragmentation requirements of the caller.  I plan to change the FreeBSD
> routine to take another arg that specifies the max fragmentation level
> so m_it can stop early and/or return an indication of whether it was
> able to satisfy the callers' requirement (otherwise the caller must do a
> bus_dma call in order to find out if it's defrag'd enough to handle).

Yeah, I thought such argument would be useful, but did not want
to diverge from FreeBSD. If it's going to be changed in FreeBSD soon,
it'd be better to use the new function signature in NetBSD right away.

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-