Subject: Re: Missing ppi(4) docs?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2005 18:07:26
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 04:25 pm, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <20050220033738.GI27315@che.ojctech.com>,
>
> David Young  <dyoung@pobox.com> wrote:
> >On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:41:29AM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> >> G'day,
> >>
> >> Reading up on parallel ports, the ppbus(4) refers to the ppi(4)
> >> interface.
> >>
> >> ? ? ? ? ? ?o ? a user interface named ppi(4) that allows parallel port
> >> access ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?from outside the kernel without conflicting with
> >> kernel-in ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?drivers.
> >>
> >> However, ppi(4) seems to be missing on NetBSD-2.99.15. Is ppi(4)
> >
> >supported and
> >
> >> if so, does someone care to write the missing man page?
> >
> >Berndt,
> >
> >Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ppi(4) is an
> >experimental facility that comes from FreeBSD.  FreeBSD has a man page,
> >I think.  If you test ppi and find it satisfactory, send-pr the man page,
> >cc'ing me, and I make sure it is imported.  Also, send-pr if ppi does
> >not work right.
>
> Someone needs to import ppi.c and ppi.h too. It looks straight forward,
> but I don't have hardware to test this.

thanks Christos. Please ignore my previous email since your reply supplied the
answer.

BTW: I noted a major device number appears to be reserved for the ppi device:

majors.i386:device-major        ppi             char 104                ppi

So, there may already be someone working on this.

cheerio Berndt
--
Every man who says frankly and fully what he thinks is doing a public service.
[Leslie Stephen]