Subject: Re: Missing ppi(4) docs?
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2005 17:54:35
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:07 pm, David Young wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:41:29AM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > G'day,
> >
> > Reading up on parallel ports, the ppbus(4) refers to the ppi(4)
> > interface.
> >
> > ? ? ? ? ? ?o ? a user interface named ppi(4) that allows parallel port
> > access ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?from outside the kernel without conflicting with
> > kernel-in ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?drivers.
> >
> > However, ppi(4) seems to be missing on NetBSD-2.99.15. Is ppi(4)
> > supported and if so, does someone care to write the missing man page?
>
> Berndt,
>
> Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ppi(4) is an
> experimental facility that comes from FreeBSD.  FreeBSD has a man page,
> I think.  If you test ppi and find it satisfactory, send-pr the man page,
> cc'ing me, and I make sure it is imported.  Also, send-pr if ppi does
> not work right.
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

many thanks for all info.

I've downloaded the FreeBSD man page for ppi(4), however, I failed to find any
real code that contains or even refers to this interface in our source tree.

All I found sofar is a ppi.h header file that contains one line, namely

#define NPPI    0

Do you know how to enable the ppi(4) interface in the kernel? It doesn't
appear to be documented anywhere and grepping NPPI in the /sys filesystem
didn't reveal anything of interest.

cheerio Berndt
--
Every man who says frankly and fully what he thinks is doing a public service.
[Leslie Stephen]