Subject: Re: MMU requirements
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Kamal R. Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/18/2005 08:21:32
--- Jared Momose <jpmomose@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Kamal,

> page
> > > swapping madness. You
> > > locate your binaries to
> running
> > > binaries occupy different
> have
> > > severe limitations
> >
> >Not a problem if you consider that:-
> >(1) there is no swap device
>
> On this processor, since a "virtual" address can
> only be backed by a single
> physical address (realize that in this hypothetical
> system, VA would have to
> be the same as PA), you will need to find a way to
> juggle the contents of
> the page being addressed.

if we say VA=PA and just place the kernel and requried
binaries at different locations -will that work?

> > > getty, anything multiuser,
> have
> >
> >do we need getty() on a dsp?
>
> The issue I presented was that of executing multiple
> instances of the same
> binary. The problem is that both contend for the
> same address space for
> data/bss, and will require some funky page swapping
> code to mitigate the two
> instances.

Yeah -I understood your original pt. I meant, its a
really small piece of hw that will have very few apps
running on it (most likely no more than 1 instance of
each app).

> > > concluded that although it
> > > inefficient and not very
> > > >

> >uclinux is the modified version of linux that is
> >commercially used.
>
> The paradigm used by ucLinux to handle processes is
> very different than
> Linux. If someone was clever and did port the Linux
> kernel to the Blackfin,
> including fork() and the ablilty to execute N
> instances of an arbitrary elf,
> I believe my statement would stand.

Can we emulate virtual to phys translations using s/w?
It will slow things down, but will still be usable. I
mean, assume that every address space resides in a
contiguous block of memory and use a translation
scheme that translates only base addresses.

regards
-kamal

=====
Kamal R. Prasad
UNIX systems consultant
kamalp@acm.org

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is:-).