Subject: RE: MMU requirements
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Jared Momose <jpmomose@hotmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/18/2005 13:50:54
Kamal,

I have been thinking about this problem for a while, considering the
Blackfin line of DSPs from Analog Devices. These processors are similar to
what you describe in that they have address protection but not translation.
Without translation, you are doomed some nasty page swapping madness. You
might be able to minimize it by attempting to locate your binaries to
different addresses such that concurrently running binaries occupy different
sections of your address space, but you still have severe limitations
(multiple instances of the same programe, i.e. getty, anything multiuser,
fork needs to be reworked?!). Personally, I have concluded that although it
may be possible, the result would be terribly inefficient and not very
useful for anything academic or commercial.

Best regards,
Jared Momose