Subject: Re: Anyone working on ATA over Ethernet?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2005 16:41:18
Bill Studenmund said:

>Well, SASI came first, so SCSI would be more of a souped-up version. :-)

>I think you could hook more than one device per controller, and I know you
>could hook two disks to one SASI disk card. But I think SASI only had one
>initiator per bus. I could be wrong about the multiple controllers per
>bus, though. :-)

The best use for the SASI bus was for multiple controller cards. Downstairs
I have a Charles River Data Systems Universe system that has an Archive
tape Controller and a Sysgen SMD controller chained on the SASI bus. Other
CRDS systems also used OMTI 20D MFM and floppy controllers and Ciprico 9 track
tape controllers.

The system that I have supports SASI and SCSI1 on the same bus.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		http://www.rmkhome.com/