Subject: Re: scsi disk woes on power tower pro
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@redcrowgroup.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/13/2005 14:39:49
der Mouse wrote:

>>I've got an IBM 18G scsi disk with SCA connector, and an SCA<->50-pin
>>adapter.  This is connected to the internal scsi bus of my Power
>>Tower Pro (OF 1.0.5, if it matters... mesh0), and no matter what
>>jumpers I jump, it comes up as 'drive offline':
>>

>>sd1 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <IBM, DXHS, 0430> disk fixed
>>sd1: drive offline
>>

>>HOWEVER, if I use 'scsictl sd1 start', then use scsictl to detach and
>>rescan the bus, the drive works OK: [...]
>>

>>Anyone know what I can do here?  I'd really, really like to use this
>>18G disk instead of the one that's there.
>>

>You quite likely can just go ahead and use it.  Have you tried?

Yes, I have, as I mentioned in a followup to port-macppc:

# fsck /dev/rsd0a
fsck: cannot open `/dev/rsd0a': Device busy
# scsictl sd0 start
# fsck /dev/rsd0a
** /dev/rsd0a
** File system is clean; not checking
#

>I have an IBM drive on a SPARCstation IPX that has similar issues - it
>is reported as offline by the boot-time device scan.  However, it isn't
>offline; (a) it's the boot drove, from which the kernel was just
>loaded, so it can't very well be offline; and (b) it works just fine to
>continue to use it as if it weren't offline.

I'm unable to boot from the disk either, but I suspect that's more
because port-macppc has some pretty involved hoops to jump through to
make a drive bootable, not all of which I've jumped through yet.

>Thus, I feel reasonably sure this is some kind of MI SCSI issue, so
>I've copied in tech-kern and set reply-to there.
>
>I can't very well try your "detach and rescan" trick since in my case,
>it's the drive with / on it - but since it works as /, it clearly is
>not truly offline.

Turns out, I don't need to detach-and-rescan, I just need to send  the
"start".

>Interestingly, I have two other drives on that machine which probe just
>fine:

Yes, I have other HDs and a CD-ROM on this machine which probe OK,
including the current boot disk.

>I don't see any statement of what NetBSD version you're using; I'm
>using 2.0 on the machine in question.

2.0, though I was intending to move this machine to -current  once I got
this drive working. :/

+j