Subject: Re: devd-alike for NetBSD
To: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@liberouter.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/09/2005 00:09:19
> : > Text form. Unlike newbus, we allow "dd if=/dev/drvctl
> : > of=/dev/stdout bs=1".
>
> Why would you want to do that :-)

cat? grep? even awk? :-) On production systems, only cat [*] makes sense
probably (to inspect the output when you write matching rules). It's
simple enough to support, and also helps to keep userland ingnorant about
implementation details.

> : They don't allow this? So their interface is text form and
> : record-oriented, where record = line?
>
> Yes.  But that's just an implementation detail.

Yes, no practical problem I guess.

> : Another question: how to represent insertion of "not configured" device?
>
> On FreeBSD, we give the bus' notion of the pnp information for that
> device.

Ok, I'll do the same -- should amount to emitting new event from
config_found.

	Regards,
		-- Jachym Holecek

[*] Note that cat is likely to work fine for FreeBSD as well ("by
    conincidence"), cat's read buffer is likely to be >= 1024, which
    is the size of a message -- so it will be lucky enough to read
    one whole message per read() call.