Subject: Re: devd-alike for NetBSD
To: None <freza@liberouter.org>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/08/2005 16:17:55
In message: <20050208230919.GA3232@hanele>
            Jachym Holecek <freza@liberouter.org> writes:
: [*] Note that cat is likely to work fine for FreeBSD as well ("by
:     conincidence"), cat's read buffer is likely to be >= 1024, which
:     is the size of a message -- so it will be lucky enough to read
:     one whole message per read() call.

Yes.  Also, on FreeBSD, there's only one reader of /dev/devctl, which
is devd(1), which is likely the only program to ever read from it.  It
then writes all the messages it gets over the /var/run/devd.pipe.  The
reason that I added the pipe is so that devd can also broadcast
network events and the like in the same format as other events.

Also, the reason I chose text over binary was that I didn't want devd
to know jack about how any specific bus was implemented...

Warner