Subject: Re: devd-alike for NetBSD
To: Jachym Holecek <freza@liberouter.org>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@liberouter.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/08/2005 01:36:23
Hi,

[I've been pointed this may be relevant for tech-userlevel@ too.]

> mostly as an exercise, I finished a first shot at ${subj}. It's implemented
> as a straightforward extension of drvctl(4) (added read method) and
> autoconf(9) (emit events to drvctl queue). Currently, only attach/detach
> events will be announced. This works for any device, with pci/usb/pcmcia
> telling more detailed PNP information [1]. Supporting more buses/events
> would be very simple.
>
> Source is located at: http://www.liberouter.org/~freza/devmon.tar.gz
> The file devmon/README gives installation instructions, devmon/devmon.conf
> describes config file format (which is remarkably simple ;-).
> [... cut ...]

I just uploaded a new version, changes:

	* Announce activate/deactivate events.
	* Cleanup kernel & userland code.
	* Document event demon (manpage).
	* More detailed README, simple examples.

Next, I'look at enhancing devmon(8)'s expressive power. Motivation:

	Devices are organized in a tree by autoconf(9). Currently,
	devmon(8) is capable of matching individual nodes quite well.
	It might be desirable to further precise device specification
	by providing parent hierarchy (regular expressions, again).
	Configuration format would likely change.

Again, comments are welcome -- I'd like to eventually send-pr this (not
anytime soon, though).

	Regards,
		-- Jachym Holecek