Subject: Re: HW-assisted VLAN handling
To: Jochen Kunz <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/29/2005 21:42:44

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 05:42:00PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:52:39 +0100 (CET)
> (Jaromir Dolecek) wrote:
> > How do other drivers deal with this? I don't see any special handling
> > in stge(4), bge(4) at least. Do the other drivers just accept all
> > vlan-tagged packets and let vlan_input() sort it out?
> When I wrote iee(4) (sys/dev/ic/i82596.c) all I had to do for vlan(4)
> support was:
> 	sc->sc_ethercom.ec_capabilities |=3D ETHERCAP_VLAN_MTU;
> Packets with a vlan(4) header get feed to if_input() as any other packet
> and the network stack sorts out the vlan(4) stuff automagicaly.

Yes, but that's because the iee device doesn't filter on vlan tag.

Here, Jaromir has a device that can select the vlan ids it will receive,
pretty much like a multicast filter.

I guess an API should be added to have vlan(4) notify the hardware
layer, again just like multicast filter.  AFAICT, no such exists at the

Quentin Garnier - -