Subject: Re: ACPI suspend support.
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Kentaro A. Kurahone <kurahone@sigusr1.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2005 19:15:32
On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:02:27AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> ...and I think something a lot more than the current powerhook stuff is
> really needed.  We need to be able to express a richer set of power
> states.  It might make sense to adopt the S* nomenclature of ACPI,
> since PCI also uses the same nomenclature.

Sounds good.  The ACPI S* states are a lot more flexible than the APM
equivalents, so this should ease some of the pain when trying to deal with
this on hpc/macppc targets.

On the changing powerhook note, I'm wondering if passing POWER_STATE_S[0-5],
via why is sufficient.  Device drivers can use this to transition between
power states/save or restore context as needed.  The current strongpoint of
the powerhook stuff is that devices that don't/can't do powermanagement
don't need the code for it.  The downside being that it's a bit on the
minimalistic side, and there's no easy way to have a default behavior
apart from "do nothing".

--
Kentaro A. Kurahone
SIGUSR1 Research and Development