Subject: Re: XF86 wsfb driver and wscons ioctl
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/22/2005 15:12:18
Jason Thorpe wrote:

>> But I don't think it can be handled by dumb wsfb driver.
>> Some wscons drivers already have {copy,erase}{cols,rows}()
>> functions for wscons/rasopos with hardware support, so
>> I just guess they could be easily used with the same API by dumb wsfb.
>
>Perhaps add ioctls that map to the {copy,erase}{cols,rows}() methods of
>the kernel driver, and add a bitmask describing which of them are
>implemented?

I was thinking about this a while ago, and determined that you'd
probably need to be able to batch requests into groups for the
performance improvement to exceed the system call overhead.
Something like a writev(2) interface that defines command packets
would be interesting, I think.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/