Subject: Re: namei caching of newly created files?
To: Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no>
From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/19/2005 15:09:33
* Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no> [050119 14:58] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing some simple testing using postmark using various
> hardware configurations.  The postmark test is always run with "set
> number 20000" and "set transactions 50000".  This will create 20000
> files in a single directory, and perform various transactions (read/
> append and create/delete) on those files before removing them all.
>
> My latest test was with a large FFSv2 file system using soft
> dependencies, and on identical hardware running recentish Linux, ext3
> with (supposedly) btree directory data structure, we are being
> trounched -- where Linux gets 3000 transactions/s and 15-20 MB/s
> read/write, we get at most around 800 t/s and 2-3 MB/s read/write.

Has NetBSD integrated UFS_DIRHASH from FreeBSD?

This might make things a lot quicker as ufs_lookup may be much
faster after a certain number of entries are added.

Can you try a benchmark against FreeBSD 4.11 or 4.10 which I think
has UFS_DIRHASH by default?

--
- Alfred Perlstein
- Research Engineering Development Inc.