Subject: Re: Problem with gcore and permissions
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/11/2005 15:02:24
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:45:12 -0500
christos@tac.gw.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
> The third reason is that the process cannot write to the directory or
> file where the core is supposed to be generated. You can use sysctl to
> change proc.<pid>.corename to something else, or update to head and
> use gcore -c <corename> <pid>. Finally a better way is to ktrace or
> attach gdb to it.

I'm running this as root so I assume that directory permissions are not
the issue.  Funny you should mention attaching gdb as that is the other
thing that fails.  If I try to attach it tells me something about
already debugging and then kills the PostgreSQL process when I exit gdb.

Note that gcore fails on -current as well.  The gdb attach works fine
though.  Unfortunately, so does PostgreSQL (it doesn't get into a busy
loop) so I can't use that to track down my PostgreSQL problem.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/