Subject: problem with loading netbsd using redboot
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Kamal R. Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/26/2004 20:53:42
Hello,

 I have a diskless i386 machine with redboot on it. I
find that one has to load an .srec file as it won't
recognzie the elf32 format. (that is ok with me).
I have some other problems namely:-
(1) the load addr in Makefile.i386 is 0xc0100000 which
is the ROM area. I changed this to 0x0100000 -and now
the kernel loads fine.
(2) I typed this command
-------------------------------
RedBoot> load -v -m tftp -h 192.168.168.2 netbsd.srec
Entry point: 0x00100000, address range:
0x00100000-0x00621ea4
RedBoot> go 0x0100000
-----------------------
I do not get any response after that. Im wondering if
any other initialization needs to be done (like
setting up the gdt etc..).

I can only see info about loading netbsd on arm using
redboot, but none on loading netbsd onto i386 using
redboot. Can someone provide info on the same?
I am also looking for info about loading the kernel
over a serial interface as some boards don't have a
network card.

thanks
-kamal