Subject: instrumenting the kernel for coverage
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Elliston <bje+dated+1103673756.da5a01@air.net.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2004 11:02:32
--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

I've been giving some thought to trying to instrument the NetBSD
kernel for coverage analysis.  At first, I considered the idea of
having the coverage report sent out at shutdown time via, say, tftp.

Then I read about a Linux kernel patches that adds a tree of
/proc/gcov gcov data files, one per kernel source file, that are
available in a running system.  At any stage, you can run gcov against
one of the kernel source files and the coverage information is
extracted on the fly.  This seems like a far superior option.

Would anyone be interested in me writing something similar?

Ben

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--