Subject: Re: wd, disk write cache, sync cache, and softdep.
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2004 09:28:04
--OWTDMVXEsTf8mMwG

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 02:00:30PM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Ordering is only part of the issue.  It's "data that is written to the=20
> drive really bloody well is written to stable storage".  This is of the=
=20
> utmost importance in the presence of, say, a journaling file system ...=
=20

Exactly. And my proposed mechanism doesn't care what the upper layer
is, it just restores this expected behaviour that all disks should
have.

The upper layer might also be something like raid(4) working with
DAG's of its own multiple outstanding commands, and keeping parity in
sync.

--
Dan.
--OWTDMVXEsTf8mMwG