Subject: Re: Moving ethfoo in the main tree
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2004 14:27:09
Goodness, I would have been noisier if I knew everyone wanted
pseudo-ethernets.  A little while back, I built a tap driver that works
enough like FreeBSD's tap driver that OpenVPN works with it (in tap
mode - OpenVPN also has a tun mode).  I've personally used bridging
between a real ethernet and a tap ethernet, with OpenVPN, to get a
Windows box's network neighbourhood to see machines on the local LAN
(which was basically why $ORK wanted me to do the tap driver).

ftp.rodents.montreal.qc.ca:/mouse/misc/tap-for-1.6.2/ holds the driver
itself.  All that's missing is the glue - config lines, cdevsw entries
(or whatever the modern analog is), MAKEDEV clause, that sort of thing.
(Plus, rolling forward to 2.0, which didn't exist when I wrote it.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign