Subject: Re: [ Re: Moving ethfoo in the main tree]
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2004 13:14:12

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 12:18:47PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> >The tun/tap mode uses a device such as ethfoo which emulates a complete
> >Ethernet segment between the host.  It makes it appear as a separate
> >computer which, for example, would be linked to the host with a cross-
> >over cable.
> >
> >While I haven't tried it, I don't see anything that could prevent two
> >instances of qemu from doing network communication that way, the host
> >will server as a router in that situation.
> Ah... no go to have that on the same subnet, e.g. maybe bridge on the=20
> host, instead of route? FWIW, simh-vax just works for this kind of=20
> setup...

Using bridge(4) over two ethfoo(4) should work.  It's actually an
interesting test to do, I'll try that by tonight.

Making it possible for ethfoo to do bridging would introduce a lot of
complexity (it would have to know a lot about Ethernet).

Quentin Garnier - -
"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.