Subject: Re: [ Re: Moving ethfoo in the main tree]
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2004 12:11:38

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 12:04:38PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> >qemu (emulators/qemu) is a vmware clone which can fully emulated
> >network with a tap-like interface such as ethfoo.  qemu is a really
> >neat piece of software.
> Can you give more details here?
> In particular, what I'd be interested in is multiple qemu instances,=20
> and have them communicate between each other and with the host system (an=
> also from the host system to each qemu instance, of course).
> Will that be possible with etherfoo? Do you happen to have a setup=20
> example, maybe? :)

qemu can work with two network modes.  The internal one (user-mode
network stack) is rather kludgy, as it is limited to what a user can
do, and only to some extent.

The tun/tap mode uses a device such as ethfoo which emulates a complete
Ethernet segment between the host.  It makes it appear as a separate
computer which, for example, would be linked to the host with a cross-
over cable.

While I haven't tried it, I don't see anything that could prevent two
instances of qemu from doing network communication that way, the host
will server as a router in that situation.

Quentin Garnier - -
"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.