Subject: [ Re: Moving ethfoo in the main tree]
To: None <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2004 11:33:13

----- Forwarded message from Quentin Garnier <> -----

Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:11:32 +0100
From: Quentin Garnier <>
To: Martin Husemann <>

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 10:47:08AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> You are giving little background here, for those who never used etherfoo:
>  - what is etherfoo?

sys/lkm/net/ethfoo/ethfoo.  It's a fake Ethernet network interface.  It
started as a very simple LKM, and I added more and more features.

>  - what do you use it for, and what is /dev/etherfoo?

I started it with the idea of fooling all that flexlm crap, and have
better licencing management in my company.  Keeping track of MAC
addresses and what licence is attached to which is unnerving.  In the
end I don't actually use it that way but I will if it becomes even
more unmanageable.

As for /dev/ethfoo, see my commit of yesterday:  it's a cloning
device, turning ethfoo into what is tap on FreeBSD and Linux.

>  - what is qme (?) and what's got etherfoo got to do with it?

qemu (emulators/qemu) is a vmware clone which can fully emulated
network with a tap-like interface such as ethfoo.  qemu is a really
neat piece of software.

Quentin Garnier - -
"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.