Subject: Stateful volume (Re: Ideas on the audio framework)
To: None <>
From: TAMURA Kent <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/13/2004 16:36:27

> > Probably no one opposes making the OSS compat layer stateful.
> > It should be compatible with Linux and FreeBSD.
> That doesn't work.  A mixer can really be stateful if it can make
> sure it intercepts all changes, so it can keep its state.  If some
> other application changes the value behind its back, strange things
> will happen (though, arguably, it will work if someone only uses
> one application for mixer settings.  I, for one, use gkrellm-volume,
> mplayer, mp3blaster and mixerctl all at the same time, depending on
> what I'm doing).

It seems better than the current slider problem :-)

IMO, we should make mixer volumes stateful in the native API,
too.  The current behavior hides hardware differences by halves.
It hides the physical maximum value of a hardware, but does not
hides the physical volume precision and it is difficult for
applications to know correct volume precision.  I like either
exposing the physical maximum value (not 255) to userland or
hiding the physical volume from userland.  The former needs API
changes, and the latter doesn't need API changes.

TAMURA Kent <kent_2004 at> <kent at>

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)