Subject: Re: Ideas on the audio framework
To: Jaromir Dolecek <>
From: None <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/12/2004 12:09:20

On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 10:30:22AM +0100, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Jukka Marin wrote:
> > Give xmmix a try and you'll know why I dislike the way NetBSD works at =
> > moment.  Besides the fact that I stills strongly believe it is the very
> > purpose of the audio drivers to make the various audio hardware look the
> > same to the application programs.  I still don't know how other unix cl=
> > work, but I'm 99% certain they do NOT work the way NetBSD does.
> FWIW, I agree with you here - IMHO the ioctl should make sure the volume
> is bumped to next hardware level in case the hw doesn't support the
> finer resolution. IMHO it's unnecessary nuisance for the app to have
> to care which particular resultion the particular audio hardware has.=20

That's exactly the change I committed to the ac97 mixers about a year
ago.  The issue is, it's very hard to do that with stateless mixers,
and I can't say I'm really satisfied with the result, but at least it
allows OSS applications to work to some extent in some situations.

Jukka said he didn't know any up/down applications.  I know two of
them:  mp3blaster and mplayer.

Both had the issue that the granularity of their own mixer change was
not enough to allow the volume to be pushed up, so I added a guess in
ac97.c to actually change the volume in that situation.

But I let you look at the downside of this:

for i in `jot 45 150`; do mixerctl -w outputs.master=3D$i; done

Quentin Garnier - -
"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.