Subject: Re: Ideas on the audio framework
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/12/2004 10:30:22
Jukka Marin wrote:
> Give xmmix a try and you'll know why I dislike the way NetBSD works at the
> moment.  Besides the fact that I stills strongly believe it is the very
> purpose of the audio drivers to make the various audio hardware look the
> same to the application programs.  I still don't know how other unix clones
> work, but I'm 99% certain they do NOT work the way NetBSD does.

FWIW, I agree with you here - IMHO the ioctl should make sure the volume
is bumped to next hardware level in case the hw doesn't support the
finer resolution. IMHO it's unnecessary nuisance for the app to have
to care which particular resultion the particular audio hardware has.

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-