Subject: virtual servers, virtual workstations (was: Jail For NetBSD)
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/06/2004 14:49:30
[ On Monday, December 6, 2004 at 10:35:51 (-0500), Thor Lancelot Simon wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Jail For NetBSD
>
> Have you read the Xen papers (including the benchmark results)?  Xen can do
> this and more (including hot migration of "virtual servers" from one physical
> machine to another).

There was a talk given at the IBM CASCON conference I attended here in
Toronto this fall by Mike Kozuch from Intel Research.  They're
experimenting at CMU with using this kind of host emulation specifically
to do virtual workstations for mobile computing, a concept which they
also refer to as "internet suspend and resume".  All through his talk I
kept thinking Xen could be used to do something similar with NetBSD.  :-)

I've since found his paper and a related site:

	http://developer.intel.com/technology/itj/2004/volume08issue04/art06_suspendresume/vol8_art06.pdf

	http://info.pittsburgh.intel-research.net/project/isr/

--
						Greg A. Woods