Subject: Re: devfs, was Re: ptyfs fully working now...
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/29/2004 18:32:34
--UPT3ojh+0CqEDtpF

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 11:06:17AM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> In message <20041127230339.GC25324@netbsd.org>,
> Bill Studenmund writes:
>=20
> >I think that Eric's comment was either incorrect or poorly-worded. I thi=
nk
> >we will depreciate all on-disk device nodes with devfs,=20
>=20
> Why on Earth would you want to do that?  I'd be happy with a dynamic
> devfs on my laptop, but static on-disk (actually, in-filesystem, with
> static in-filesystem permissions) device nodes are *EXACTLY* what I
> want. For certain applications.

Because specfs (the add-ons we have to hook device vnodes into the device=
=20
system) will need changes, and I am not looking forward to maintianing the=
=20
old and the new ways in one kernel. And to be honest, if we're concerned=20
about security, I think it'd be cleaner to have one way of doing things,=20
not two.

Take care,

Bill

--UPT3ojh+0CqEDtpF