Subject: Re: fs transcoding, was Re: Unicode support in iso9660.
To: Pavel Cahyna <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2004 08:14:39

On Nov 22, 2004, at 8:06 AM, Pavel Cahyna wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:01:37 +0000, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>> Honestly, I think we need to reserve a chunk of space in the FFS
>> superblock to specify the encoding that the file system is using.
> What would be this good for?

Making it possible for the file system to self-describe.  The "what
we've got" part of the equation.  Legacy file systems that don't
specify this can continue their free-for-all wrt. encoding that makes
this problem difficult to solve.  New file systems will have a
reasonable default encoding (UTF-8), and it can be set at newfs time to
an alternate encoding or "none" (i.e. the legacy case).

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)