Subject: Re: Unicode support in iso9660.
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2004 14:41:03
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:46:53 +0000, der Mouse wrote:

>>> What are they supposed to do upon encountering a pathname component
>>> containing an octet sequence which is not UTF-8?
>> You can override the default behaviour for all glib2-using programs by
>> setting the environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING to the filename
>> encoding you use, e.g. "ISO-8859-1".
>
> Well, you answered the question I asked (in text that I cut).  But this
> seems like a rather wrong design.  Specifically, it has two problems:
>
> (1) it assumes that all filenames are, fundamentally, encoded character
>    sequences;

The GTK applications do need to display the filenames using X11. How to do
that without assuming that filenames are encoded character sequences?

> (2) it assumes that all filenames encountered during a given run use
>    the same encoding.

See above - how to display them without this assumption, if you can't
determine the encoding?

> Neither of these is a safe assumption.

Unfortunately both seem to be necessary for good usability. Or do you have
any other algorithm to display filenames and transforming keyboard input
to filenames in mind?

Bye	Pavel