Subject: Re: Unicode support in iso9660.
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/22/2004 07:46:53
>> What are they supposed to do upon encountering a pathname component
>> containing an octet sequence which is not UTF-8?
> You can override the default behaviour for all glib2-using programs
> by setting the environment variable G_FILENAME_ENCODING to the
> filename encoding you use, e.g. "ISO-8859-1".

Well, you answered the question I asked (in text that I cut).  But this
seems like a rather wrong design.  Specifically, it has two problems:

(1) it assumes that all filenames are, fundamentally, encoded character
   sequences;

(2) it assumes that all filenames encountered during a given run use
   the same encoding.

Neither of these is a safe assumption.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign