Subject: network-transparent devfs
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Sascha Retzki <lantis@iqranet.info>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/21/2004 20:13:16
I have some questions, now we are speaking about devfs:

How hard would it be, and how usefull it would be, to make devfs completely
network transparent.

Some scenarios you can come up with is network-storage computing. An "exported"
block device, maybe a RAID or a simple harddisk drive that is then bound to a
raid, everything over network.

That'd be great, I mean, having a RAID on several machines that are maybe
rooms/metres away from each other sounds pretty usefull.

I think you get a pretty good picture and would love to have such things.

The question is: How hard is this to actually implement?

How is security and authentification handled?

Sascha Retzki