Subject: Re: fs transcoding, was Re: Unicode support in iso9660.
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/20/2004 17:47:35
> So a filesystem might:

> 1.  Have a known filesystem encoding by virtue of being one of the fs types
>     that specify an encoding
> 2.  Have a known filesystem encoding, even though it is one of the agnostic
>     fs types, because that information has been given to mount
> 3.  Have no known filesystem encoding because it's agnostic and nothing was
>     specified to mount.

I like this.  (Well, I don't like it as much as I like a totally
encoding-agnostic interface like the traditional one, but it looks as
though NetBSD has decided it wants to change the filesystem interface
from octet sequences to character sequences, and this way at least I
can get it to operate with octet sequences if I want.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign