Subject: Re: devfs, was Re: ptyfs fully working now...
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Chapman Flack <flack@cerias.purdue.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/20/2004 15:16:53
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> representations. As we support more & more hot-swap devices, over time, we
> may end up with multiple "devices" (say wedges/partitions on mobile disks)
> with the same name. While obviously we can't have them active at the same
> time, the fact that one wedge named "foo" was readable by user Bob doesn't
> necessarily mean that every wedge named "foo" should be.

This looks as if you're proposing an additional functional requirement, so
let me make sure I understand it.  You would like a system where a single
name in node-space can be configured to appear at different times with
different ownership and/or permissions depending on what peripheral is
plugged in?  I'm not at this point advocating or opposing such a feature,
only making sure if that's what you meant.

Regards,
-Chap