Subject: Re: representation of persistent device status, was Re: devfs, was Re: ptyfs...
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Jonathan Stone <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/19/2004 14:56:05
In message <>, Bill Studenmund writes:

>Well, the main goal for devfs is to make major and minor numbers be
>transient. So there's no way that old-style nodes in the fs will work.

hi Bill,

To return for awhile to the question which prompted the ptyfs -> devfs
topic switch, and answer your question of a week or so back:

I know of certain applications where old-style nodes in the fs is an
absolute, non-negotiable requirement, and for which the proposed devfs
is an absolute non-starter.

Are you saying that for such applications, we should use another OS?
That's, er ... well, not what I was hoping ot hear.