Subject: Re: Unicode support in iso9660.
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/19/2004 07:48:49
--Apple-Mail-77-165561264

On Nov 18, 2004, at 7:23 AM, Martin Husemann wrote:

> For some filesystem it's known (NTFS, *FAT with long filenames), for
> some we
> can pass it as a mount option (FAT w/o long file names). How do we
> specify
> it for FFS per directory (or per directory entry)?

I think for any given file system type, you have to standardize what
encoding is being used.  Otherwise, you really need for everything to
self-describe, which quickly balloons the scope.

Perhaps for existing installations that are broken (as Soda says :-), a
mount option to override the encoding could be used... but I think just
for simplicity (and, thus, sanity) you have to pick something and
standardize on it.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>

--Apple-Mail-77-165561264
	name=PGP.sig