Subject: Re: representation of persistent device status, was Re: devfs, was Re: ptyfs...
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/18/2004 22:15:37
> On the issue of namespaces, in one view of a "full devfs", even
> having major,minor numbers as a namespace at all should go away, or
> at least become a historical distraction.  The device *is* the vnode
> in the devfs.

I think that would be a mistake.  I've too often had occasion to have
device files in unusual places in the filesystem.  (Not all that often,
but often enough - maybe a half-dozen times in the two-plus decades
I've been a sysadmin.)  Some of those could be handled with multiple
mounts of devfs, but some couldn't really.  I think it would be a major
step backwards to lose the ability.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign