Subject: Re: Unicode support in iso9660.
To: Vsevolod Stakhov <cebka@jet.msk.su>
From: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/18/2004 23:37:15
	Vsevolod Stakhov <cebka@jet.msk.su> said:

> Yes, this should be the most simple and convenient way. But we can
> use unicode to represent file names internally. Then if we specify
> translation flag in mount options we translate names from unicode to
> local charset for userspace.

Unfortunately, that may break some existing installations which have
multiple codesets as pathnames in a single FFS.
You can say such filesystem is broken (and I may agree ;-)), but
I think it isn't an option to break existing installations.

Apparently, we need a converter which converts all codesets to
unicode (and vice verse) in our kernel (for NFSv4, NTFS, VFAT,
etc...), but using single codeset as an intermediate codeset like
above cannot solve the problem.

But an extended iconv-like interface can...
--
soda