Subject: Re: dupfd hack and clonable devices
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/18/2004 15:06:59
On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 01:39:06PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <20041118081024.GJ3824@snowdrop.l8s.co.uk>,
> David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Would the simple idea of providing specfs with vfs ops, and then
> >> backing up the inital vnode and replacing it by a new one with the
> >> correct pointers (and notably the correct dev_t number) in spec_open
> >> be possible?
> >
> >Or do what SVR4 (and probably solaris do) which is to give VOP_OPEN
> >and extra parameter so that the FS dependant code can return a
> >different vnode from the one that was retirned by the lookup.
>
> I did almost that in 1.5 vnode_if.src. I passed the extra fd.
> It was backed out.

Do you know why?  The CVS log is completely useless (about as useless
as saying "delete file" for cvs delete file), and I don't see any
discussion on tech-kern about its removal.

"Commala-come-five! / Even when the shadows rise!
To see the world and walk the world / Makes ya glad to be alive."
Susannah's Song, The Dark Tower VI, Stephen King, 2004.