Subject: Re: Unicode support in iso9660.
To: Vsevolod Stakhov <cebka@jet.msk.su>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/16/2004 20:39:02
On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 07:28:39PM +0300, Vsevolod Stakhov wrote:
> So, I don't think that using utf8 by default is a good idea. I think
> that most comfortable would be passing local charset with mount option.

This (alone) only works for msdosfs, which uses a single, fixed locale per
disk. It does not work well for joliet or ntfs.

For msdosfs, you still need the mount option to tell the kernel how to
convert the on-disk format to  utf8. IMHO it does not make much sense to let
the kernel convert to users current locale imediately - so passing out the
data from kernel to userland in utf8 is a good idea.

And the easiest thing to do for ffs is to interpret the stored data as utf8
always, which fits very well with Valerieys suggestion.

Martin