Subject: Re: Unicode support in iso9660.
To: None <>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/15/2004 18:01:36
On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 23:27:54 +0900, MINOURA Makoto wrote:

> |> In <>
> |>  Vsevolod Stakhov <> wrote:
> > but till nowadays there is no support for this. In freebsd, for example,
> > this ability appears in 2003 year, and I consider it very comfortable.
> > So my question is why iconv interface didn't appear in NetBSD?
> IMHO multilingualization support of pathnames is not such
> easy; we support many kind of filesystems, including UFS
> family (on which we can happily use non-ascii pathnames
> since it leaves interpretation of them to the userland) and
> ISO9660 (which uses Unicode and currently we can use ascii
> only).  We need much more discussion of the framework before
> implementing a filesystem-specific pathname conversion
> support (I think Citrus guys have their opinions).

It's obviosuly a complex matter, but in the interim *some* stop gap
solution is necessary.  99% of non-ascii cds 99% of our users have to
deal with are in a single encoding.  I'd be quite happy with a fixed
system-wide translation table, b/c it would cover the most frequent
case.  FreeBSD has been providing this for a very long time.

In general, lack of LC_COLLATE and iso9660 file name translation
literally *kills* NetBSD acceptance here:

- home use: What, I can't mount my mp3 cd with Russian names?  Good bye.

- server use: What, I can't get the names of my clients in the
  database sorted alphabetically?  Are you f*ing kidding?

At which point a person would probably never ever consider using
NetBSD again.

PS: And just don't get me started on wscons vs 8-bit encodings.

SY, Uwe
--                         |       Zu Grunde kommen            |       Ist zu Grunde gehen