Subject: Re: devfs, was Re: ptyfs fully working now...
To: Chapman Flack <flack@cerias.purdue.edu>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/13/2004 00:38:12
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:55:56 -0500, Chapman Flack
<flack@cerias.purdue.edu> wrote:

Just an FYI: ptyfs is *not* fully working. I just managed to hang my
machine (mostly) using it.

To repeat: start x. open a whole hell of a lot of xterms. hit the
openfile limit, or, like me, hit that, exit x, raise it, then hit the
max proc limit. then raise that. then get back into X, and do
"business as usual" -- being whatever you normally do in X -- I don't
know if that is required to reproduce the "pty hang" (for lack of a
better description) that I managed to cause, but it's what I did.
Afterwards, do a 'w' in an xterm, notice that you're using pts/1,
pts/2, pts/8, and pts/9... do an ls /dev/pts/3, and watch everything
that cares about ttys get stuck. even login hung, but I'm pretty sure
that was after I tried to do another ls in /dev/pts, because I managed
to get back to console to rebuild the kernel.

Running with COMPAT_BSDPTY now.

I know this is OT for the (now different) thread topic, but I thought
I'd at least mention it.

PS: I'm not sending a PR, because this code is so new, I rather
expected there to be warts somewhere. I've sent christos a private
mail about it.

--
Sean