Subject: Re: devfs, was Re: ptyfs fully working now...
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/13/2004 05:00:02
On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 09:08:24PM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> Here's what I've been thinking. At boot time, you pass the mount struct
> of devfs a filename which contains a list of commands to be applied to
> it before it gets mounted. These have plain unix syntax and they can be

This seems way complicated to me. What I'd do is just have a
/etc/rc.devfs to which you then add local customizations in the
form of actual shell commands (chown would probably have to be
moved to /sbin). Persistence across reboots would be a manual
process then, but using devfs requires a slightly different mindset
anyway and having to do "chmod 123 /dev/foo && echo chmod 123
/dev/foo >> /etc/rc.devfs" rather than just "chmod 123 /dev/foo"
doesn't really seem worse to me than having to be aware of some
magic new mechanism for persistent devfs permissions.

I also think that, if/when we do get a devfs, it should be mounted
automatically by either the kernel or init, so that you don't have
to mess about with mounting it when e.g. booting single-user.

--
Soren