Subject: Re: ptyfs fully working now...
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@netbsd-pt.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/11/2004 14:25:46
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 05:41:29PM +0000, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:49:38 GMT
> christos@zoulas.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
>
> > I don't understand the question. I just removed all the pty's and rebooted
> > with ptyfs mounted. I don't think that you can disable one specifically.
>
> Using the old scheme, I can disable a pty like this:
> ttyp1   none    network off
>
> Or am I reading ttys(5) erroneously ?

	As I read it, that will do nothing.  Or, perhaps if not nothing, it will
cause the pty allocation to fail on that pty and skip to the next one.
I'm having trouble thinking of a case where you would want to do something
like that.
	So, for pty's the /etc/ttys file:
 - doesn't specify a program to run
 - doesn't specify a terminal emulation to use
 - (probably) doesn't have any noticable effect when disabling a pty

Am I missing something or is there no point to having the ptys in there
even without ptyfs?

eric