Subject: Re: ptyfs fully working now...
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/11/2004 20:24:21
In article <20041111184810.4D5C32AC96@beowulf.gw.com>,
Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com> wrote:

[[ Jonathan asked whether ptyfs, and other devfs-like changes, will
remove the ability to statically configure all /dev entries, e.g., for
hardened md-image based systems ]]

I said:

I don't know about devfs; it is a different beast and it does not exist
on NetBSD yet. But I can safely say, that ptyfs is going to be optional
for the forseeable future. Even if/when we have devfs, it will be done
in a way that it:

        - will be optional until the most security concious people are
          convinced that it does not cause any threat.
        - it will be built with security in mind.

christos