Subject: Re: LKM diff for review
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/25/2004 17:19:05
--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 11:51:57AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
>=20
> But once you go the route of having an in-kernel ELF linker, we should
> really ask how much of the SunOS-4-inspired lkm(4) is worth keeping.

The lkm(4) types we have are more convenience than anything else. There is=
=20
nothing that any of them do that can't be done with a MOD_MISC module.=20
They just make it easier for modules of certain times; code that would=20
often be duplicated is factored into a common framework.

I think we should keep the MOD_ framework as long as it seems reasonable.=
=20
I see no reason that keeping or removing it will impact the other things=20
you're suggesting (maybe I'm missing something). I think the main thing=20
the MOD_ framework shows is how to add & remove stuff from different=20
subsystems.

Take care,

Bill

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0