Subject: Re: FIONWRITE proposal -1 Offtopic
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@tamu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/19/2004 16:37:50
--=-3d6Go1GUYux1mm2xbsZG

>  	The suggested ioctl() would allows a check for sufficent
>  	write space on a socket. At first glance the same could be
>  	done by polling with poll(). What does the ioctl() give
>  	you that a poll() on that one fd with instant timeout
>  	doesn't, other than slightly less overhead setup?

Sorry, but this caught my eye.
I'm developing an application to do realtime manipulation of OpenBSD's
pf, using pfvar.h and ioctl(2), but I did not know previously if ioctl
was supported on NetBSD (or Free for that matter)
(I figured it was a kernelland utility)

Will I be able to claim my application runs on NetBSD too? (hint: please
say yes [given that i'm not an OpenBSD fan]) ;)

-R. Tyler Ballance

--=-3d6Go1GUYux1mm2xbsZG

--=-3d6Go1GUYux1mm2xbsZG--