Subject: Re: Preliminary test of i386 kernel compiling with GCC 4.0
To: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/07/2004 22:08:29
Vincent <10.50@free.fr> writes:

> > These look to me like a minor, unimportant, bug in the NetBSD
> > sources--if the variables are static in sysv_msg.c, then it doesn't
> > make sense to declare them as extern in msg.h.
>
> It seems strange that gcc 3.4.2 does not complain about it.
> Also, there are those message about 'signedness'.

As you say, gcc is getting stricter.  There is an increasing effort to
warn about things which ISO C describes as implementation defined or
as undefined.  (I don't personally know what ISO C says about this
type of thing, but I do know that the gcc team, particularly Joseph
Myers, is trying to make gcc conform to the standard as closely as
possible.)

Ian