Subject: Re: Wedge aliases
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 10/02/2004 12:23:59
--qxmd2aOE9n9J83EO

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 05:16:21PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Also, I was thinking that we could use aliases to handle cases where we=
=20
> had mapped an msdos or Linux partition into a NetBSD disklabel in an MBR.=
=20
> While we wouldn't have added wedges for these (as they aren't within the=
=20
> NetBSD MBR wedge), we may still want something like "wd0j" to map to them.
>=20
> My tentative thought is to add all the wedges, then try to add aliases. =
=20
> That way, regardless of MBR order, when we create aliases, the original=
=20
> wedge has already been added.

It depends on what aliases are going to be. Are they true aliases
(multiple indistibguishable names for the same thing) or is one of the
names special somehow.  Without meaning to imply anything about
potential devfs implementation, the analogy is of symlinks vs
hardlinks in a normal filesystem.

If they're real aliases, then each label-parser can simply create the
wedge (if those sectors are not already mapped by a wedge) and then
add its name to it.  Once again, ordering doesn't matter.

This probably needs to be done in the wedge descriptor itself, with a
list of names each might take.  Or the names move entirely out of it,
and are built by devfs-mumble using references to a unique wedge id.

--
Dan.

--qxmd2aOE9n9J83EO

--qxmd2aOE9n9J83EO--