Subject: Re: Work-in-progress "wedges" implementation
To: Daniel Carosone <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/30/2004 16:28:17

On Sep 29, 2004, at 5:42 PM, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> Oh, I'm not advocating changing the filesystems; nobody cares about
> the few missing blocks.  But at the moment, access to the wedge
> containing the filesystem also implies access to the partition table
> data - which may describe partitions beyond the wedge in question.

It does?  Even in the traditional BSD disklabel scheme, only the file
system that resides in the partition that "overlaps" the label area is
going to "have access to" that disklabel.

> Likewise, having the filesystem block device open can in some cases
> prevent access to the label sector or boot blocks when you need it.

Once we are fully transitioned to wedges, I don't expect this to be a
problem, since the "whole disk" method will be via a different block
device (e.g. /dev/sd0), not via the individual wedges.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)